Welcome to the Operations Evaluation Department of the African Development Bank
OPEV, the Operations Evaluation Department of the African Development Bank, is an independent unit tasked with enhancing the development effectiveness of the Bank’s operations. By conducting independent evaluations and proactively sharing best practice, OPEV ensures that the Bank and its stakeholders learn from past experience and plan and deliver development activities to the highest possible standards.
OPEV carries out independent evaluations of Bank operations, policies and strategies, working across projects, sectors, themes, regions and countries. In addition, OPEV oversees self-evaluation of projects conducted by operations departments.
All of OPEV’s activities are designed to meet three key objectives:
- To provide a basis for accountability to key stakeholders including citizens, governments, funders and partners, by evaluating and documenting the impact of the Bank’s activities. View OPEV Evaluations.
- To contribute to enhanced learning, helping to improve current and future policies, strategies project and processes. View our latest Events.
- To promote an evaluation culture within the Bank and regional member countries to encourage a process of continuing learning and improvement. View OPEV News and Opinion.
OPEV has a wealth of experience, expertise and knowledge from evaluating the Bank’s development projects across Africa.
Evaluation suggests that strengthening leadership, organisational commitment and the creation of accountability and incentive systems are needed to maximize success in gender equality projects.
In a cross-country evaluation of programmes in Gabon, the highly effective role of the Bank’s regional office was key to providing decentralized analytical and strategic inputs to the country partnership arrangements.
Fostering Regional Integration in Africa: An Evaluation of the Bank’s Multinational Operations, 2000-2010
Strong convergence between development priorities and the objectives of public and private stakeholders is one of the keys to successful implementation and sustainable results in Multinational Operations.
- AfDB Hosts CLEAR Forum on Evaluation Results in Tunis 18/02/2013
- 2012 AfDB Evaluation Week a Runaway Success 18/01/2013
- Essay Contest of OPEV Evaluation Week - Winner Apreku Advocates for the Strengthening of Africa’s Institutions 19/12/2012
- Interview with Frannie Léautier, Executive Secretary, African Capacity Building Foundation (ACBF) 11/12/2012
- AfDB President Kaberuka Launches 2012 AfDB Evaluation Week 06/12/2012
- The AfDB’s Operations and Evaluation Department Celebrates 25 Years 04/12/2012
The March 2013 issue of eVALUation Matters—the AfDB quarterly knowledge publication— takes us into the world of evaluation in Africa: Four articles; four countries; four perspectives from African evaluators....
From Harvard University
It’s All About MeE: Project Design by Experiential Learning - Harvard University CID Working Paper No. 249 - Lant Pritchett, Salimah Samji, Jeffrey Hammer, December...